The Senior President of Tribunals provides leadership for all those in the tribunals judiciary and the remit of the role extends to Scotland and Northern Ireland depending on the jurisdiction concerned.
Information about Senior President on the Judiciary website
Information about the Senior President’s statutory responsibilities
Selection panel and process
Candidates are assessed against a competency framework for each post and should provide evidence demonstrating how their knowledge and experience meets these competencies.
The process for appointing the Senior President of Tribunals (SPT) is set out in the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007.
The Senior President can be selected from existing Court of Appeal judges (or the equivalent courts in Scotland and Northern Ireland) by the Queen on advice from the Lord Chancellor, or through an open competition run by the JAC at the request of the Lord Chancellor.
If the latter approach is used, the selection panel, which is a committee of the Commission, will comprise:
- chair: the Lord Chief Justice (LCJ) or the LCJ's nominee (who must be a Head of Division or Lord Justice of Appeal)
- a person with appropriate senior tribunals experience, designated by the Lord Chief Justice or the LCJ's nominee
- the Chairman of the JAC or the Chairman's nominee
- a lay member of the JAC designated by the Chairman of the JAC or the Chairman's nominee
- a person nominated by the Lord Chief Justice or the LCJ's nominee
The chair of the panel must consult the Lord President of the Court of Session in Scotland and the Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland before appointing any other panel members.
Before choosing the fifth panel member, the chair must consult the Chairs of the JAC, the Judicial Appointments Board for Scotland (JABS) and the Northern Ireland Judicial Appointments Commission (NIJAC).
The selection panel determines the selection process it will follow and reports its recommendation to the Lord Chancellor, who can accept or reject it, or ask the panel to reconsider.
Current salary information for the Senior President of Tribunals is on the Ministry of Justice website.