You are here

Chancery Masters

Closing date:  11 May, 2017 - 13:00


Number of vacancies: 2 (1 immediate and 1 future vacancy)

Location: Royal Courts of Justice, London

Salary: £107,100. In addition, these posts attract a London salary lead of £2,000 per year and a London allowance of £2,000 per year.

Who can apply

To apply you must be a solicitor or barrister in England and Wales with at least 5 years post qualification experience. Previous judicial experience is not required but it is essential that candidates have relevant knowledge and experience in Chancery work.

Candidates should also be able to offer a reasonable length of service, usually of 5 years, before the statutory retirement age of 70.

The Commission encourages diversity and welcomes applications from groups currently under represented in the judiciary. The principles of fair and open competition will apply and recommendation for appointment will be made solely on merit.

About the Chancery Division

The Chancery Division of the High Court undertakes civil work of many kinds, including specialist work such as companies, patents and contentious probate. The range of cases heard in the Chancery Division is wide and varied.

The work includes hostile litigation relating to commercial or financial matters such as contractual disputes, fraud and banking, professional negligence and intellectual property cases involving copyright, trademarks, confidential information and passing off. Business litigation comprises the majority of the work of the Division.

Masters are the second tier of judiciary in the High Court. In April 2015 most restrictions on the powers of masters were removed so they are now similar to those of a High Court judge. Chancery business is divided between judges and masters depending on the complexity and weight of cases.

Salaried part-time working (SPTW)

These posts are open to SPTW at a minimum of 80% or to job share with 2 people each working 50% of the time or one working 60% and the other, 40%.

Preparing your application

Throughout the selection process, candidates will be assessed against a competency framework specifically tailored to the role of a Chancery Master. The competencies are aligned to the Judicial Skills and Abilities framework used by Judicial Office and Judicial College, and illustrates the ways in which a person demonstrates the required skills and abilities when working effectively in post.

As part of your application you will be required to provide, in no more than 250 words per competency, specific examples that demonstrate how your experiences make you suitable for the role. Further information on completing the self-assessment and choosing the best examples is on the JAC website. You are advised to start preparing your examples in advance, putting aside sufficient time to develop relevant examples that demonstrate your suitability for the post.

You can also create an online account before you apply. The JAC's online application system requires all candidates to create an account before applying for judicial office. Your account will include your personal, character and diversity profiles. This information is stored on the system so, if you apply for another position in the future, you only need to update your details making the application process quicker and easier.

Sign up for alerts to receive email notifications concerning the progress of this exercise up to launch.